redho home | products | services

Programming Forums

Community for Java, PHP, Perl C, ASP and Python programmers
Wednesday 12 December 2018 20:43

Ask your IT question here

detecting that a browser has a buggy DOM implementation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Programming Forums -> JavaScript forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
froomzer
Enthusiastic Coder

I was thinking about method support detection such as id (document.all) but DOM support is no method...
Look he has a browser var
And does for instance if (browser != 'IE 5.0')

montanarry
Enthusiastic Coder

Yes.
This is not his only browser specific code..
There are plenty of other examples where he tests for specific functionality

froomzer
Enthusiastic Coder

Mmh I dont found a if (buggyDOM) ...

montanarry
Enthusiastic Coder

froomzer, You will note that the second variable he declares is "W3CDOM"

froomzer
Enthusiastic Coder

Yes was just looking that. In fact var browser is only used for IE 5.0 which AFAIK really buggy

montanarry
Enthusiastic Coder

Yes
The major feature to observe is that most of his code tests for something being possible before attempting it. This is probably the most important thing to bear in mind for making sure that your javascript doesn't break things.
(I wouldn't neccesarily recommend all features of this script. But PPK knows a shit load more than I do, so some of the things I wouldn't recommend I might be plain wrong about. Smile )

froomzer
Enthusiastic Coder

Yes that the reason why I wanna to test methods not sniff browser name

montanarry
Enthusiastic Coder

As I said. All the sniffing of browser name does is check if the user is using a sufficiently shitty browser that it's not worth trying various things.

froomzer
Enthusiastic Coder

I think I understand now the strategy : if super crappy IE 5.0 do nothing else if IE 5.xxx do buggy way else do normal things

Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Programming Forums -> JavaScript forum

Dubai Forums - Expat Help | Vegan Forum | Java Programming | 3d Design Resources | 3d Forum | 3D Jobs | 3D Textures | Paris Forum | Europe Forum
Dubai Classifieds | Dubai Property | Jobs in Dubai | Free London Classifieds | Jobs in London UK

High Quality, Custom 3d animation and Web Design solutions Royal Quality Web Hosting Services Vegetarian and Animal Rights news

© 2018 RedHo