redho home | products | services

Programming Forums

Community for Java, PHP, Perl C, ASP and Python programmers
Thursday 21 November 2019 09:07

Ask your IT question here

How to make pop-up window fit client's screen

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Programming Forums -> JavaScript forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake
Enthusiastic Coder

How do you open a new pop-up window whose width is determined by the client's screen?

Currently I open a fixed width window for a 600x800 screen from a link using :-

<a href="" onClick="window.open('pu_filename','winname','width=780,height=400,left=10,right=10,resizable');return false">Click for Pop-up</a>

To make the new window almost fill the client's screen I have tried (unsuccessfully) various bits of code like :-

<a href="" onClick="window.open('pu_filename','winname','width=window.screen.width-20,height=400,left=10,top=10,resizable');return false">Click for Pop-up</a>

and have also tried adding snippets like :-

windows.document.body.clientWidth=window.screen.width-20

There is a slight complication in that the link is located in a content frame and the new pop-up containing pu_filename is itself another frameset. This may or may not be relevant.

Any ideas, folks ?

Jony
Enthusiastic Coder

You need something more like this

Code:
<a href="" onClick="window.open('pu_filename','winname','width='+window.screen.width-20+',height=400,left=10,top=10,resizable')

Jake
Enthusiastic Coder

That code does not do the trick - which is not surprising as the quote mark syntax looks incorrect to me.

Inserting an alert in the javascript to display the value of window.screen.width shows that it has the correct value.

However width=window.screen.width does not pass that screen value to width. Why?

Jony
Enthusiastic Coder

Because you have to pass a string to the window.open function to open the window, which is why you do have to build the string up in this case using quotes and +.

I only posted the fragment of the code that had changed, so of course you need the rest of yours to make it work. I tested the code in both IE and Firefox and it works fine.

Here's the whole line
Code:
<a href="" onClick="window.open('test.html','winname','width='+window.screen.width+',height=400,left=10,top=10,resizable');return false">Click for Pop-up</a>

Page 1 of 1
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Programming Forums -> JavaScript forum

Dubai Forums - Expat Help | Vegan Forum | Java Programming | 3d Design Resources | 3d Forum | 3D Jobs | 3D Textures | Paris Forum | Europe Forum
Dubai Classifieds | Dubai Property | Jobs in Dubai | Free London Classifieds | Jobs in London UK

High Quality, Custom 3d animation and Web Design solutions Royal Quality Web Hosting Services Vegetarian and Animal Rights news

© 2018 RedHo